Programme: Welcome Week 2018
After registration from 08:30, the week’s activities begin on Monday with a fixed programme, designed to give you an introduction to the GSLS. This will be a fantastic opportunity not only to get to know the GSLS, but also to network and get to know your peers:
• A series of short talks by participants introducing themselves and their project - for this you need to submit one presentation slide
• The different phases of a PhD: what to expect, challenges and opportunities
• Introduction to the Doctoral Researchers Council (DRC) and the Doctoral Researchers’ Symposium
• Networking events
In addition to this, we offer a city tour of Würzburg after the formal activities to give you an insight into the history and culture of the city you are living in.
On Tuesday we will be offering a range of one-day workshops which count towards the requirements of the structured programme:
• Successful intercultural communication
• Analysing your market potential as a scientist
• Poster design
• Scientific writing
This is followed by an Intercultural Get Together - a pot-luck buffet of international dishes and another great chance to meet new people. This event is always a favourite, but please remember to register and bring some food along if you can!
On Wednesday, we round off the week’s excitement with the half-day workshop Good Scientific Practice (this course is a requirement of the structural programme, so now is a great opportunity to take part), a traditional Bavarian Weißwurstfrühstuck in the midday break, and a selection of additional sessions including:
- Good Scientific Practise – case studies and discussion
- an introduction to the MENTORING programme (available to female students only)
- a general Q&A session to clear up any questions you may have about the GSLS
In the evening, the DRC then offers a pub crawl to round off the Welcome Week in a relaxed fashion.
We are looking forward to seeing you all there – don’t forget to register for everything that you are planning to attend!