The Graduate School of Life Sciences offers multiple PhD fellowships. These fellowships include financial support as well as a budget for travel costs, consumables and similar expenses. The application process for the GSLS Fellowships consists of two stages, starting with a screening of all applications submitted followed by interviews (either personal or through video chat, depending on the location of the applicant).
Please only submit your application via our dedicated application platform and please follow the guidelines at the bottom of this page.
GSLS PhD Fellowships 2018 - Details
- Late July 2017: Application for the next round of fellowships opens
- 10th September 2017: Deadline for applications. Screening begins.
- Mid October 2017: Invitations for the interview stage are sent out
- 15th - 17th November 2017: Video interviews for international applicants
- 20th November 2017: Live interviews for applicants who can join us at the University of Würzburg
- 1st January - 30th April 2018: Fellows join the GSLS and begin to pursue their PhD project
The application platform is closed while we review the applications received.
- an international (working language English) and widely visible research environment
- a fellowship for three years provided by the GSLS and the host laboratory
- your own research grant covering research expenses of your PhD project and travel money to attend conferences (5000 EUR/year) granted for at least one year
- the freedom to choose your lab, project and mentors - provided that there is mutual agreement - in one of the sections of the GSLS
- continuous supervision and mentoring by a thesis committee of three principal investigators (including a special mentoring program for female doctoral researchers)
- a strong network of peers
- advanced scientific and professional skills training
- passion for and practical experience in research
- a clear understanding of what you want to work on
- an excellent university degree obtained in a life sciences subject within the last two years, usually an M.Sc. or Diploma; if graduation is expected by January 2018 at the latest you may apply
- proven excellent oral and written English proficiency (this will also be assessed during interview) and willingness to learn basic German (training provided)
- eagerness to work in an interdisciplinary and international environment
Application for the GSLS PhD fellowships works as follows:
1. Current status: The application platform is now open.
2. Notification for applicants about whether or not you are invited for an interview will be sent out by mid of October 2017.
3. Do not ask your referees to send letters right now. Only ask your referees AFTER a notification that you were invited for an interview AND wait for our instructions. In this way we avoid hundreds of letters that are written in vain.
4. Selected applicants from Europe (or travelling in Europe at that time) will be invited for an interview in Würzburg on 20th November 2017 (travel subsidies available). International applicants from outside Europe will be interviewed by video conferencing, 15-17th November 2017.