Who needs to become a member?
- Membership is necessary if you wish to advise a GSST doctoral student
Prerequisites for membership
- Authorization for university examination HSchPrüferV, June 2006
Generally, you at least need to be accepted as HabilitandIn or already be a PD; membership is also possible as an independent group leader with at least one year independent teaching experience at the university
How to apply
- If you would like to become a member of the GSST, please use the Application Form
GSST Membership, General Issues
- Membership regulated by ordinance of the Graduate Schools
- Duration 4 years, renewal upon written request
- Premature termination of membership: submission of resignation letter, exclusion for important reasons, leaving the University of Würzburg (current advisory functions may continue)
- Members listed as GSST faculty on GSST homepage
- Members are asked to post vacancies/job offers on the GSST homepage
- Members elect section speakers and vote for board candidates (to be appointed by the University President)
- Yearly General Assembly; additional assemblies may take place
- Members are encouraged to initiate lectures, workshops, summer schools etc. in their sections. The GSST office offers help with organizational matters.
Role of GSST Members in advising Doctoral Students
- Enrollment of doctoral students in the GSST does not automatically follow from member status of advisor. Doctoral students need to apply for admission. For the relevant documents, see admission
- The primary advisor provides
- access to research environment
- weekly lab meeting and literature seminar
- The primary advisor is responsible for
- assembling a three person advisory committee together with the doctoral student: two advisors must be GSST members. One may be an external / international advisor
- regular and documented meetings between the doctoral student and all members of the advisory committee (start-up meeting after 2 months, annual meetings after the first and consecutive years). An individual research training plan needs to be worked out and further developed in those meetings. For details on the timeline see path towards Dr. rer. nat.