Who needs to become a member?
- Membership is necessary to become the primary supervisor of a GSLS doctoral researcher.
Prerequisites for membership
- Authorization for examination HSchPrüferV, June 2006
Ideally accepted as HabilitandIn or already PD; also possible as an independent group leader with at least one year independent teaching experience at the university
- Independent project leader in a coordinated externally evaluated research program, such as a DFG-Graduiertenkolleg or DFG-Sonderforschungsbereich
How to apply
- If you want to become a GSLS member please use the Application Form
GSLS Membership, General Issues
- Membership regulated by ordinance of the Graduate Schools
- Duration 4 years, prolongation upon written request
- Premature membership termination: submission of resignation letter, exclusion for important reasons, leaving the University of Würzburg (current supervisory functions may continue)
- Members listed as GSLS faculty on GSLS homepage
- Members are asked to post vacant PhD positions on the GSLS homepage
- Members elect section speakers and vote for board candidates (to be appointed by the University President)
- Yearly General Assembly; additional assemblies may take place
- Members can initiate lectures, workshops, summer schools etc. in their sections. Both financial and organizational support by the GSLS can be applied for
- Members can nominate candidates for Career Development Fellowships
Role of GSLS Members in Supervising Doctoral Researchers
- Enrollment of doctoral researchers in GSLS does not automatically follow from member status of supervisor. Members and candidates have to get active.
- The primary supervisor provides:
- access to collaborative research structure (such as Graduiertenkolleg or SFB)
- weekly lab meeting and literature seminar
- The primary supervisor is responsible for assembling a three-person thesis committee in cooperation with the doctoral researcher: two supervisors must be GSLS members. One may be an external / international supervisor. If the primary supervisor is a member of the medical faculty, one supervisor has to be from a natural science faculty or be nominated from such a faculty.
- Regular documented meetings between doctoral researcher and all members of the thesis committee are required (start-up meeting after 3 months, annual meetings after the first and consecutive years).
- An individual research training plan has to be worked out and further developed in those meetings. This needs to be documented in respective progress reports.
- See Regulations